Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Pajama Party

You probably didn't get an invitation, but tonight was Clara's big pajama party.

Planned at about 4:30pm this afternoon, I don't really know what put the idea in her head. But we all were told that we were invited to the pajama party this evening. The requirements were that you took a bath, went potty and put on pajamas (grown-ups included). Thankfully, the requirements were waived once it was decided that two girls were clean enough to skip bath (one of their favorite "treats"). Even the pj requirement was waived, but just for grown-ups. And nakey was okay for a baby (although he did get dressed during the "party" in his pjs).

The festivities were kicked off with an impromptu "song" with the girls holding their hula hoops and chanting a welcome for us. Then it was time for singing and music (provided by the pre-recorded songs on our lovely keyboard that Santa brought (from Wal-Mart) several years ago that will probably last until the kids are in their 20's). Next it was time for drum playing - turn over several large plastic containers from Costco and you have a great drum set. And in case you missed it the first several times it was announced, Clara is the teacher and Gracie is the helper. But Gracie doesn't have a clue what we are doing because Clara is in charge (this was a very important concept to her ... hard to relinquish that big sis power). Then Gracie left to go set up the next activity - resting. The rest of us (Clara, JM and me) got to sample the rest of the musical instruments (xylophone, slide whistle, drum, maraca) - of course John Michael loved this part. And in fact, we left him there with the instruments while we headed off for our resting time.

In the playroom and found nap mats and couch cushions laid out for everyone. I flopped down on the floor immediately and pretended to sleep. Clara and Gracie followed suit and then John Michael showed up and thought resting would be a good idea, too. He was pretty cute - he was sharing Gracie's nap mat and was lying on the bottom half of it, but would sit up and crawl on her a little and then settle back down. Then Mike came in and read JM's bedtime story to us all. Of course, John Michael had to walk around a little, flop on top of Clara (who loved it, of course) and also play with the doll house for a minute. But he was quickly frustrated with that when the Daddy Doll wouldn't fit in the chair - he just flung him out of the doll house. And unfortunately into Gracie's head. But miraculously, Gracie didn't get too upset and Mike just continued reading on (I think he missed seeing all of this).

The party was almost over (right?? - I thought it just had to be!). John Michael headed off to bed and I (un)wisely stayed behind to finish the party with the girls. They informed me that exercises were next and Gracie would be the teacher. Our first "exercise" required doing a nee-hah jump twice, spinning around and then a forward roll. I had to get my nerve up (and put an extra blanket down on our cork floor) but I actually did the forward roll... I think I should either practice those more or plan on not doing them anymore. Anyhow, when my head stopped hurting, we were on to the second "exercise." Walking the balance beam (my yoga mat rolled up lengthwise) and then tossing and dribbling the ball. After that, teacher Gracie informed us that the last "excercise" was really playing doctor, nurse and patient.

Well, I won't bore you with all the details of that but even as I'm typing this I'm thinking, "why did I let this go on so long?" Oh - and then there was a board game that followed this to end the party. Needless to say, it was a rough bedtime for Clara. Mike was great and took over after the game, I think I was all partied out.

So - a fun night, but too much, too late. And one of those things you look back on and think, what was I thinking?

But tomorrow is a new day - with opportunities for lots more fun, and of course, lots more lapses in judgment! (and maybe some new pictures on the blog!!)

No comments: