Saturday, March 14, 2009

New Tricks

Wow - this may be hard to remember everything I need to list - at least as far as John Michael is concerned.

He's eating lots of table food now (although I think he's getting pickier as the days go on rather than more adventurous) and loves to be able to pick things up himself. When Mimi fed him about a week ago, she got him to use the spoon, too (I'll post about that soon!) I haven't been able to replicate that - I may have to have a tutorial from my Mom on how she managed that!

He's also into utilizing anything that moves as a walker - chairs, stools, the rolling cart that the girls store their shoes in, and today we brought in one of the "cars" we have had in the garage so he could use that as well.

He loves to stand up with one hand on something and about a week ago stood up on his own, no hands on anything. He practices that lots and lots now, but no steps on his own. And if you hold his hands to help him walk he might only take a few steps or none at all. I think he is a "do it myself" kind of kid (I think he has been taking lessons from Clara on that).

Oh - first word! "Ball" said the day Mimi & Pap visited (3/5). He has a mini beach ball that he loves and was playing with it and started saying the word. And kept saying it over the next few days. He sounds like he is working on a few more words as well. He's got "da" for Daddy down. Today he tried "pop" ('cause Daddy always says "pop" when he pulls the tabs for his diapers) and he's working on "dog" (and the panting noise as the sign for dog). He can also do the all done sign at meals and say "dun" and he tries to wave and say "bye."

He has been a busy boy! I'm sure I'm leaving some things out, but that's about all I can think of right now.

On 3/3, we had a big first for Clara. Here are some pictures and see if you can guess:

n



This was especially exciting because I worked at JBF from noon to 4pm, ran home to nurse the baby and then headed back to shop at 6pm. So as soon as I walked in the door, I was herded out the back door to admire this new accomplishment for Clara!

Gracie's doesn't have anything in particular to report for new tricks. But she has been very good about trying all sorts of new foods lately. We joined a produce co-op and so we have gotten a chance to eat some new vegetables. She's now a fan of Swiss Chard (cooked sauteed) and kale (I cook it in the oven with a little olive oil & salt and make kale "chips" - Clara actually eats it, too!). At Central Market a few weeks ago, she picked some Greek mushroom pockets to try (and liked) and she tried the california rolls I bought (medium warm on those). Oh, and she's up to 44" tall (she and Clara both grew 1" from 1/15 to 2/22. Clara is up to 41").



And even though Clara is sure that Mike will soon be too tall to fit in the car, neither he nor I have grown any taller. But we both have gotten a little leaner!

1 comment:

Laura said...

JM is full of new tricks. It was so good to get to see him the other day (the girls too).

I love the look on Clara's face with her accomplishment!

I'm so impressed with all Gracie's eating. Beth wouldn't dream of such things!