Friday, December 26, 2008

Preparations for Christmas

Yes, yes, I know it is the day *after* Christmas and I am putting up a post about getting ready for Christmas. But we were so busy getting ready, that I didn't have time to write. Also, Mike is home for a few days & I don't have to wait until nighttime to write this! So, here we go.

We finally got the tree up a few weeks after Thanksgiving. In fact, we waited so long that we hadn't decorated it when Uncle Scott came to visit. He was heading up to Amarillo for his Christmas break. We got the tree decorated & also managed to go out one night to look at Christmas lights. We stopped and got ice cream (and I do use that term loosely!) at Dairy Queen before we started driving around. The plan was to let the girls eat the ice cream in the van while looking at lights, hoping that would keep them entertained a little longer than normal. We had only looked at a few lights when Clara was done - "I want to go home - I'm sleepy - no more lights!" I guess she hadn't had a nap that day, because we hadn't really been driving around that long! I tried to convince her she could rest in her car seat, but she didn't really like that plan. And she must really have been tired because when we got home I saw that she had only eaten a few bites of her ice cream.


Our tiniest bear in his Christmas jammies, "helping"
& enjoying time with Uncle Scott


Next, we moved onto Mike's big event of the season - the Making of the Gingerbread (okay, the eating, too!). This had to get done because some of the cookies get shipped to family & friends.


Gracie & Clara worked dilligently on decorating the cookies
after Mike & I had a late night frosting marathon!

Next up were the Christmas cookies. I wanted to wait as long as possible for these, so we would still have some on Christmas Day! I like to make the cookies we had growing up - Christmas Trees & Camels. They are both spritz cookies that you make with a cookie press. I remember every year we wondered if the dough would be the right consistency to work in the cookie press. The press I use belonged to my Grandmother Toth (I think - Mom will have to correct me if I am wrong). Clara & I were in charge of making the Christmas Trees this year. They turned out just right - no problems coming out of the cookie press - and light and buttery and almond-tasting!


Clara was really intent on being in charge of the mixer this time & while that made me a little nervous (some of you know why ...), she did a really good job. She liked to lock it down & then turn it on slowly and then click it up to a higher speed.

Next up were the camels & Gracie was my helper for that round. They also turned out great (better knock on wood for next year!) - I like to take them out of the oven before they get too crispy - soft & chocolately, yum!



We were almost ready for Christmas now. Just unload the numerous boxes that kept arriving everyday (thank you family & friends) and keep wrapping, wrapping, wrapping. Mike & I did a lot of ordering online this year and he commented that the delivery people must wonder if we know that you can go out to the store & shop. One day we had six packages arrive by 3 different carriers - FedEx Ground, UPS & USPS. At least they've learned to just drop the packages over the fence & leave them (no waiting on me to straggle out & actually sign for them).

JM loved all the ribbon and colorful packages under the tree!


Thanks to Aunt C for JM's cute Christmas bib!

Finally, it was Christmas Eve. The girls were pretty excited. Mike had taken them out to the park to check on our "treasure box" (geocache), play and then do some shopping. This was in hopes that they would go to bed early. It worked pretty well for Clara, she fell asleep easily at 7pm, but we had a few moments before bedtime (see below). Gracie was too excited to go right to sleep, but after a few visits out to us to tell us how she couldn't sleep, she finally settled down and was asleep by 9pm. Not too bad!


Blowing out the last Advent candle - how sweet, right?

"It was *my* turn, Clara!"


Hmmmpph!


'Twas the Night Before Christmas by the tree

Cookies, milk, pictures and gifts for Santa

3 comments:

Laura said...

What is the teasure box?

I love that you captured the "hmmph". Great traditions y'all have! JM is just too cute!

Relishing Life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Relishing Life said...

It is all so much work - but such a wonderful time and very much worth the effort! All of the precious memories! Your Christmas looks like it was perfect! All of the loves of your life! I wish that I could have been there with you! Give everyone hugs and kisses for me!