Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Jeans ... finally!

So I've been slow to post lately. John Michael is on his second round of antibiotics for an ear infection and should be getting better but has felt the need to wake up screaming every two hours for the last five nights or so. Needless to say, I haven't been getting a whole lot of uninterrupted sleep. Which makes the brain a little foggy for things like writing. I started to write about our Thanksgivings (yes, plural!), but kept getting stuck and not able to think of the word I wanted to use. So I'll have to finish that one later. But I thought of a much easier topic I have been wanting to write about for a while - Jeans!

If you've heard me talk about Gracie & clothes, you probably know about the jeans thing. For the first five years of her life (or at least the part of it where she has had any say), Gracie has not wanted to wear jeans. When she was smaller, I always tried to put her in outfits that looked comfy (not necessarily just cute!) and I guess I started a bad trend. The first time I tried to put jeans on her, she wore them for a little while but then decided they were too tight and uncomfortable. (That was probably around age 2). Since then I've been trying to convince her that jeans are actually great things! But with Gracie, if you work too hard trying to convince her, she will decided she is never going to do what you want!

So when I went to my big consignment sale (JBF - Just Between Friends) this September, I didn't buy any jeans for her and only got things that looked "comfy." But that ended up amounting to mainly skirts and dresses. Since she is in school 3 mornings a week, she didn't need too much clothing this fall. But she didn't really have any pants to wear, and it does actually get a little cold here in Texas. So I told her we had to get her a pair of jeans.

She agreed to getting a pair of jeans, but I wasn't convinced (like mother, like daughter). So naturally, I waited until we went to Dallas and talked Mimi into going to the mall with us. I'm no fool - go to the mall to get a possibly controversial pair of jeans with three kids and no backup? I thought if I couldn't talk her into the jeans, Mimi could! We headed to Dillard's since I wanted plain jeans for Gracie and the department stores seemed a likely place to find them.

At first, I thought we might have gone to the wrong store. When I asked the saleslady to show me some plain jeans, she was a little stumped. On almost every rack were jeans covered with glitter and designs up and down the legs - yikes! But then she found a plain pair - I went over to take a look - hmmm just $55 for a pair of DKNY jeans for a 5 year old! She found a few more pairs, but they all seemed a little pricey to me. Finally, I spotted what we needed - a nice shelf full of Levi's. Just what the Mommy ordered.

So we grabbed a ton of pairs to try on in sizes ranging from 4 slim to 6 regular (Clara had to try something on too, right?) and headed to the dressing room. Thank goodness for Mimi. We would have been in there an hour with me trying to get them both in and out of jeans. Skinny Minny (Gracie) ended up in a 6 slim (which blew me away, I thought she would be a 5 but who knows!) and Clara ended up with no jeans (didn't really need any - she's got a drawerful of clothes) since she is in some limbo size between a 4 and a 5.

Gracie ended up loving her jeans and here she is modeling them. Oh - forgot to mention - she ended up getting 2 pairs! And then a few days later talked me into buying 2 belts (okay, they came 2 for 1) at Target. She's been dying for a belt for a few years, but never had anything with belt loops! She & Clara are currently sharing the two belts (Clara is modeling the second belt).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When is she going to get her first pair of boots to go with those jeans?