Friday, February 13, 2009

Birthday Boy!

No - it's not yet time for JM's 1st birthday. This is a belated birthday post for Mikey!

So it will mostly be pictures since we seem to have a lot of them.

1st party - on actual birthday 1/22 (I'll be nice and exclude the year)

Good thing the party planner (Gigi) was in the house.

I was on the second or third day of running a fever and not in good shape for birthday celebrating. When I finally dragged myself out of bed on the birthday morn, the birthday banner was up, the cups and plates had been unwrapped & party hats were on. Gracie announced that they were in the midst of birthday games & did I want to play? So I joined in for a few rounds of hide and seek. Then they moved on to a new game. Check out the video below.

So I don't really know what happened after games - I went back to bed. I'm sure Gracie, Clara and John Michael kept the birthday boy busy with something. Later that afternoon, I summoned up some more energy and rounded up what presents we had (thank goodness I had done some shopping a little early) . Then after watching the girls wrap everything up, we threw together a cherry pie. The girls did a good job, but I'm not sure I had a lot of patience and my whole goal was to get the pie in the oven. The cherries probably needed a little something more (they just got dumped from can to pie crust) and the crust was a little thick. But Mike was kind enough not to complain!

Clara worked hard to get that crust into the pie pan.

I guess birthday day was also the day JM really discovered the pantry. He was quite pleased with himself. I think Mike thought it was alright for him to play there ... at least until he found an applesauce container and a rice krispie treat with bites in them!


So we got through the day and managed to have some presents for Mike that night and then pie & ice cream. Here he is with his kiddos:

Clara was pretty sad about her Tootsie Roll...

Well, about a week ago, I got a chance to redeem myself for the lack of a birthday celebration for Mike (although looking back I think Gracie & Clara did a stellar job). I hadn't been able to take the girls birthday shopping earlier, so we did that. Then we came home and decided to have an impromptu party & surprise Mike. We decided to make snickerdoodles (thought they would be easy and quick!) wrap the presents and put out the party hats (you know who had that idea). It turned into a pretty good second celebration and Mike definitely was surprised!


One in charge of measuring, the other in charge of the mixer


Everybody had to help at present time!


Daddy & Miss Rose

Okay, and the last installment of the birthday celebration (this is starting to rival Uncle Todd's birthday jubilee, hmmmm) came tonight. Mike finally got his last birthday present - a new bicycle! He had ridden his old one for 10 years, so I was happy he was finally ready to splurge and get himself a new one. We picked it up this afternoon & rolled it into the house this afternoon so the kids could see it.


The boys inspecting the new bike


John Michael approves - what more do you need?

2 comments:

Relishing Life said...

The kids put on a terrific birthday party for Mike! It is wonderful that Mike got to have 3 celebrations! And, he seemed to enjoy each one. How cool!

Laura said...

I love all the birthday fun! Wow, Mike finally got a new bike. I know he's been considering it for a while.

I was just thinking the other day about how JM is almost 1. Where did the time go?!