Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Just a few of the things I've missed (blogging about) in the last few months ...


In October, we all got a chance to go down to San Antonio and visit Uncle Scott.  Mike and the girls had been down before, but this was the first chance JM & I had to visit him at the seminary. 

We left on Friday night and broke the trip up by stopping about an hour short of San Antonio.  The kids loved the hotel, especially the pool.  I was a wimp, so Mike was the one that had to endure the chilly water!  And he definitely does not like cold water.  But the real challenge was actually holding on to John Michael.  Two months before he was fussing about getting in a swimming pool, but then at the hotel, he suddenly became convinced that he could swim!  He spent a good portion of the time screaming "let me go!"  But he (Mike, John Michael?) survived.  But it wasn't an easy night - JM didn't all asleep until around 10pm and then woke up at 6am.  I snuck out of the room with him in the morning, hoping the girls and Mike could get a little more sleep (which they did). 

Then we headed down to San Antonio, to meet Uncle Scott and go to the mass for him for the conferral of the ministry of acolyte (one of the steps along the way to becoming a priest). 

 It seemed like it was going to be a really nice mass, but unfortunately, John Michael and I didn't get to find out.  He didn't even make it through the opening hymn before he was fussing and being way too loud.  Once I got him outside, I realized the lack of sleep was doing him in.  So instead of church, he got a nice nap on my lap while I sat on a bench in the sun.  It was a beautiful day, so even though I didn't get to be inside, I was glad Mike and girls were and that we had been able to come down. 

After church we headed to the Riverwalk for a yummy Mexican lunch.  Can you tell Gracie is trying to convince Uncle Scott not to jump in?   I know that's what Mike was telling JM! 
After lunch we scouted around for a pumpkin patch.  The one that had been at the Catholic church the previous year wasn't around this year, so we ended up supporting the Methodists that afternoon at a nice little pumpkin patch. 
Apparently, Clara thought it was important to test the toughness of the pumpkins! 
It was a nice little pumpkin patch until we got the little wagon to pull the pumpkins to the front.  Check out that expression on JM's face.  Clara was sure he needed help pulling/directing the wagon and John Michael was sure he didn't!  And Gracie and I are just standing by watching ... 

Fast forward a few days - pumpkin carving time.  I can only comment on the pictures here.  I definitely don't have the patience or ability for this activity!!!  I love the difference in the expressions on their pumpkins - kind of sums up their personality differences, right?
Fast forward another day or two and it's .... Halloween!
Here's the costume lineup for the year:
MEOW!!


Indian Princess

And my favorite (costume, that is) - the "man" in brown! 
My favorite grown-up man was also dressed in brown, but I didn't happen to get a decent picture. 
Any guesses what I was?  I think it fit my personality that week - here's a hint:

Finally, I had to post this picture just because the kids look so cute going up to the house.  And also, to point out that this is what happens when you go too Texas crazy.  Yikes!  Look at all of those stars, longhorns and who knows what else...

So that's how it was most of the night - JM running to catch up.  But let me tell you, once he discovered there was candy involved, he wasn't going to be left behind.  Ironically, all he wanted to eat from the loot over the next few days were the "gummies" (the fruit snacks).

I didn't get any pictures of the girls unloading/sorting/trading the loot, but let me tell you there was a lot!  I think we sent at least 5 pounds with Mike to work and the kids still had more than they could ever eat by Christmas.  I think next year that we really just need to go halfway around the block! (of course, there would be some logistical problems with that plan ...)

No comments: