Saturday, October 10, 2009

On our own

Well - we're down to a two person (and a dog) household this week. Mike took the girls to San Antonio to visit Uncle Scott, so John Michael, Elvis and I are holding down the fort.

I thought JM would be missing his "isseees" like crazy, but I think I was wrong. He's been loving all the attention, and I've had a chance to remember why I call him "Sunshine!" He is an awfully cheery boy.

We went to our city's Founder's Day celebration this morning. It was cold (51), but I made JM keep his hat on and let him walk so he would stay warm. We had a good time just watching everything and getting the occasional treat. For JM - a free picture, a balloon and lots of offers of candy; for me, a bag of Kettle Corn (I'd never had it, but it was awfully good and perfect just hot out of the kettle on a cold day) and lots of coupons.

JM's favorite things were the ponies (just looking - no riding!) , the person dressed up as some sort of orange furry animal and the Fire Station Remote-controlled Dog that sits in a little fire engine. The Fire Dog is really funny - they have a guy who is slightly out of sight (to the kids anyway) and he operates the dog and talks for him. John Michael loved the flashing lights and the fact that the dog would talk (although he kept trying to put his hands in the mouth!). The orange animal (it was for Fantastic Sam's so it was fuzzy and hairy) made him laugh hysterically. He would touch the hand and then just giggle, giggle, giggle. It was pretty funny.

And finally, JM thought he had found a mini-sandbox for himself. I was looking at Halloween bows for the girls (and I found some!) and looked over to see him sitting in a hole in the pavement, playing with the loose sand/dirt/gravel. What a boy!

And wouldn't it be great if I had pictures of all these things? Yes, of course it would. But did I grab the camera? Noooo - that would be too easy. Here are a few shots after we got home.

Love the stripey hat that my friend Tracy passed on to us. It has matching mittens, gloves and a scarf - too bad we don't live further north!


"Pedaling" (he just uses his feet!) along on the red trike

JM can do so much these days - eat yogurt, applesauce, cottage cheese, etc. by himself with a spoon (and he's pretty neat ... until he decides to test it with his fingers!); he said "es" (yes) this afternoon and "ease" (please) at dinner time. He told me when he wanted his bath (did his sign and ran to the bathroom door) and asked for his milk (with a sign) when he was across the room. It's such great fun to see him communicating and he is so happy about it, too.

The only thing he really doesn't like these days are the words: nap, sleep, night-night. And oh boy, can he pitch a fit. Oh well, I'm sure it will be a passing phase, right???

And, since I'm missing my big girls (just a little!) - here's a look at them with their newborn baby brother. Clara's with him at the hospital when he's just a few hours old (and look how little Clara looks!) and Gracie's picture is at home when JM is three days old. And they just sum up their relationships with their little brother perfectly!



No comments: