Saturday, April 25, 2009

He's One!

April 5th seemed to come around surprisingly fast. At least over these last couple of months. It's hard to believe that John Michael is already one!

Conveniently, the 5th was a Sunday this year, so JM got to have one of his aunts and one set of grandparents at his party. My party planner helped get everything lined up for the celebration (although I had to convince her to hold off on the party games until maybe the 2nd birthday), and Clara was busy helping as well. Mike was working that weekend, so we took advantage of JM's morning nap to get his "cake" finished.


My eager helpers!


The "Lion - ba-Bion" Cake (modeled after his stuffed animal that Aunt Mary Jo got him last year in Colorado)

It was a gorgeous spring day, so the kiddos went out for some sunshine and fun with "Da!"



Then it was time for the guests and the party. Aunt C arrived and then Mimi & Pap.


John Michael even decided to hold still long enough for Pap to hold him on his lap.

I don't have any pictures of Mimi because I think the girls whisked her away to their bedroom. C was helping me finish the cooking. So, first order of business (thanks to a suggestion from the older girls - and I don't mean Aunt Carolyn!) - presents!

The madness starts:

And on it goes ... Clara & Gracie went at it & everything was open in 5 minutes!


I think this was the only piece of wrapping paper John Michael got hold of!


The aftermath.

But I don't think John Michael minded all the help - he loved his presents! Here he is with his drum and xylophone (from us):




No instructions (nor any undoing from their boxes) needed for those toys - he went at them right away.


With his new Cowboys hat on - playing that xylophone again.

And how many people does it take to open a 1-year old's presents?








After recovering from the massive present opening, it was time for dinner.


Guess what JM was ready for after that?

Can you say where's the cake???


I think he was sure he blew that candle out himself!

He really enjoyed his party. Gracie & Clara had gone in his room in the morning and sung Happy Birthday to him, then he got another round of it when we called "Da" at work during breakfast (the girls decided to sing it again), and I'm sure we got it in at least one more time before the "official" singing at cake time.

I don't think I let either Gracie or Clara eat any birthday cake when they were one (I know, I'm so mean!), but John Michael got to have a mini cupcake, icing and all. He gobbled it all up.


After cake, Gracie & Clara thought they would sneak off and play with some of the new toys ...


But John Michael wasn't having any of that - as Mimi pointed out, he knows which toys are his!



Time for good-byes - Thanks for coming to the party Aunt C!

And Mimi & Pap escaped without a good-bye picture, but we were happy they were able to make it over for the little man's 1st birthday party as well!

2 comments:

Relishing Life said...

I can't believe that JM is already one year old!! The time goes by so quickly!!

I love the cake! It is super cute!!

Laura said...

Jacob is in my lap saying "Mimul!". He had quite a celebration! I can't believe it's already been a year. Oh, and it takes EVERYONE to open those stupid toy packages.