Monday, October 27, 2008

My (quirky) Little Guy

John Michael is such a sunny little guy, but he does have his moments.

First, the fun stuff.
He's thinking about crawling and definitely creeping. He keeps getting up on his knees only to go headfirst into the floor. Got to get those hands up, too little guy! I tried to get the girls to demonstrate crawling to him but they seem to have forgotten what crawling is.
He's very interested in everything around him (good except for those times when you are trying to get food in him). We went to storytime at the library last Friday and he was on the floor on his belly looking around. Then he actually turned his head toward the book and it kept his attention. He even put his head down and almost fell asleep ... but of course, there was too much going on for that. But he did fall asleep while I was carrying him just before we left the library. That's the first time he has done that in several months. It was very sweet!

Now, on to the quirky stuff.
Over the last few weeks, John Michael has started to pound his right fist upward and into things. This is okay when you are holding him in your lap (your upper arm gets pummeled), but the quirky part of this habit is that he also does it when he is nursing. When he is nursing so his right arm is free, he starts this and ends up whacking himself in the head. Does that stop him?? No, he just keeps right on hitting his little head. I made Mike come and watch it the other day - we were both just watching him & laughing. I can hold his arm and that will make him stop but once I let go, he usually starts again. Needless to say, it's not really conducive to the whole nursing to sleep thing that we've been doing in the past!

The newest habit - this was just tonight that he started this and it was right before I got him to sleep for the night. He had his mouth closed and started making all sorts of goofy mouth noises. Okay, it's hard to explain. If he keeps it up, I'll have to get a video of it. Maybe we can get a video of the head whacking, too. I'm sure that's just the kind of thing he'll want to see when he is a teenager!

1 comment:

Papa Bear said...

"Those monkeys are BAD!!" - comment by Gracie. I will be home for trick or treating and will eat ALL the Candy! I have a funnel - it is blue and needs a way to stick to my head though. See you soon - XOXOXOXO