Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lost all my momentum . . .

Well, I was on a roll there with those pre-Christmas pictures, but then the great sickness of 2010 (I can hope, right) started in our house. JM's had the yuck and now Clara. Last night was the first full night of sleep in almost a week. But amazingly, I was more tired this morning. Is that the way it is supposed to work? Oh, well.

The kiddos are, of course, up to new tricks, even the sick ones. Gracie's big accomplishments involve reading, reading, reading! She got almost all the way through Hop on Pop (five pages from the end) by herself with help needed only on "they." (Aren't you sorry to have missed that Dr. Seuss read aloud, Pap??) I think she finally realized, too, just how far she has come. It's amazing to hear her reading and nice to know that it is starting to "click." She also spends lots of time helping JM & teaching him. She worked with him on his bathtub shape sorter ship tonight - and he got it right after she had showed him! I think they were both excited.

Clara is still busy conquering new games on Webkinz. The latest are Battleship and Dicekinz. I don't even really understand Dicekinz, so I was watching her play and got some insight into how she figures out all these games. Trial and error, trial and error. She's not really interested even if you offer to read her the directions. She is definitely a "hands-on" learner. Clara has also been working on "reading" although I think she's lost some of the drive to compete with Gracie on that front. She is more interested in finding the words that you are reading on the page - I don't think she will be a learn the sounds, sound it out, kind of reader.

JM is busy, busy - even when he is sick. Watch out for your electronics if he's loose in your house - he seems to reprogram Mike's alarm clock every day (although I never seem to catch him back there) and he's been working on the laptop and regular computer (but hopefully, hasn't made too much progress on those, although he does know how to turn the monitor on and off).

JM's also very fond of his "baby" now. It's a small baby doll that he carries around some but mainly wants (along with his blankie) when he goes to sleep. But he loves it if you give the baby doll a kiss when you are giving him a kiss. I think maybe he is working up to kisses or hugs. He still doesn't like to give those out! He also loves to carry around a purse. I guess all kids must love to carry bags - poor guy, with two older sisters, I guess he is going to get stuck with purses for now.

That's all on the kiddos. Here's the funny from my husband. And a reminder that we still do get to talk and laugh together sometimes, even if it does happen during a household chore. So we were making the bed the other night (yes, I don't always get those clean sheets back on the bed before bedtime! and yes, Mike doesn't complain, he just helps! Yay Mikey!), and I was saying that I could never tell which direction the fitted sheet goes on (we have a king and the sheet is almost square). So Mike helpfully pointed out "the stripes go vertically." Aha! I thought. Then I looked at the sheet and noticed it had a plaid pattern.

No comments: