Monday, August 24, 2009

Funnies

Gracie was telling Mike the other night that you really have to be careful when writing with Sharpies (permanent markers) not to get them on your skin. She was going on and on about it, but she finally told him that it will come off, but it will take a really long time. So Mike responded with, "When I was a kid, I wrote on my hands with a Sharpie and look what happened to me - all my hair fell out."

Gracie had to think for a minute, but then she caught on and laughed along with us!

**********

Clara's latest interest is to ask me several times a day - "How old will I be when Gracie is ____(fill in the blank)?" I've tried to explain that there will always be two years difference between the two of them but that hasn't worked. And the other day Gracie even questioned that and pointed out that right now they are 4 and 5, only one year apart. So then I tried to explain to her about how that is only 1 month a year and the rest of the year, etc. But with Clara, I have given up on explanations and just answer her. The other day she asked me how old she would be when Gracie is 100. So I answered "98." She thought about that and then asked "but won't Gracie break her head on the ceiling when she is that old?"

Obviously, we still need some work on our idea of growth and grown-ups!

**********
I haven't updated any of JM's "firsts" lately, but I'm sure I couldn't really keep track of them.

He hasn't met a chair yet that he can't pull himself up onto. I'm just amazed by how he will just hang there with his belly on the chair and finally get his legs up. And then he looks so pleased. Here is a picture from today - he got up on one of our patio chairs for the first time.


And he just loves the "alligator purse" that Mimi gave Gigi a few years ago. He discovered it just yesterday and was quite pleased about carrying it around. Can you tell how quick he is by the blurry photo?


And finally, he's learned to say "uh-oh!" Sort of. The girls said this very early on, so I've always been surprised that he didn't say it earlier. He's got it now, but he actually *hums* it instead of saying it. I'll have to try and capture it on video.

****
Clara's birthday post is still to come (she had a grand time - thanks to all of you for the birthday wishes and gifts).

And the girls are off for the first day at school tomorrow. Gracie will be in kindergarten 5 mornings a week and Clara will be in PreK MTW mornings. I imagine JM will be a little lonely (and maybe me???).

I'll post some 1st day of school pictures.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I love your patio chairs- very retro! That's hilarious about Mike's hair because of Sharpies. I'm sure Gracie was really thinking hard about that one. Can't wait to see school pics!