Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spring Break - Part 1

Well, we're trying to get back into the swing of things after a week off, but it's been a little bit of a struggle. Probably I shouldn't turn off my alarm in the morning and we should probably all be out of bed before 7:45 since Gracie is tardy at 8:15am. And today was picture day, too! Oh well, she actually made it there right at 8:15. I'm so thankful the school is so close.

Spring break was pretty fun this year. Gracie kept telling me she was going to sleep in, but she was out of bed by 7:30 every day (and some days earlier). She got an extra long spring break since kindergarten conferences were Thursday & Friday. So the break started off with me getting to hear that she's been doing well in school. You think everything is fine & she's doing well, but it's always nice to hear from someone else.

Then on Saturday I did something I had long promised the girls we would do - I took them roller skating! We found a great rink in Arlington (the Skatium) that offers skating classes on Saturday morning (all levels - beginner through advanced. (Sue, I was having flashbacks to the Skate Place!)) and after the lessons the kids can skate free at the session. And I get to skate for free (and the girls did too, since it was their first time to go).

It was a little bit of a rough beginning for us all (why don't your legs seem to remember how to skate after only, hmmm... 20 years?), but then the kids went to the class and the teachers really helped them out. Gracie seemed to really catch on pretty quickly and surprisingly, Clara was the one that had a harder time (it's usually the reverse with things that require balance and coordination). But they both stuck with it through the lesson.

Then we had a snack at the snack bar (ring pop and starburst) and then I headed with them out onto the rink floor. We made it around a few more times (Gracie skated on ahead and Clara and I took our time) and that was plenty for them. We were there about an hour and a half and Clara counted 3.5 times around the rink for her. Gracie probably made it a few more times, but she wasn't counting.

So we went again this past Saturday and I actually brought the camera! They had a blast and Clara finally really got the hang of things right at the end of her lesson. She just reminded me that she made it around the rink *13* times! She really kept after it. Gracie and I had already gotten off the floor & she decided to go around one more time. Gracie was busy working on trying backwards skating and doing a little hop (they work with them on that in the class).

So here are some pictures - it's not actually that dark, I think my flash wasn't strong enough since the batteries were giving out.







And they're off. I'm sure we'll keep going. We're even thinking about taking JM.... definitely will have to get some pictures of that if we do - I think he would love it!

No comments: